Friday, April 3, 2015

February continues with more storms of many kinds

Eric came home from this trip Friday night with more swelling and fevers (that had been masked with Advil).  He started stronger antibiotics, but they often made him throw up.

Saturday, the 20th he was supposed to speak at a Men's Breakfast at church, but was not feeling well enough to attend.  Later that day, another snow storm coming rolling in, earlier than most expected.  Many people got stuck, including my neighbor who took 2 hours to get home from Towson (maybe 15 minutes away).  We luckily stayed put at home while it snowed.


The kids had some snow play time in the afternoon, while I tried to keep up with the shoveling.





Max was not interested in the snow.

Both these two were begging to go back inside.


So much shoveling...


That night, we played Wii Bowling as a family, well not Eric.

Elliott hurt his arm pretty bad.  We thought it was broken.  He was in so much pain, he would not change into Pjs, couldn't use the bathroom by himself, or brush his teeth.  It was too stormy outside to risk taking him to the hospital, so we wrapped up his arm and waited it out.  He woke up several times that night despite pain meds, but did well considering the hard circumstances.


The next morning, Sunday church was cancelled due to the snow.  I dug out one car and sent Eric (who could drive and sit) to take Elliott in.  Audrey was excited to go along too since she is fascinated with medical things and felt a little guilty that Elliott hurt his arm (she maybe played a role in the injury).  Elliott wore his super hero mask to be brave and tough... just so cute!


I stayed back to shovel more and dig out the other car.  Of course, we lost our spot while the CRV was gone.  Adeline was not interested in being outside any longer.  I left her inside for a few minutes while I finished up and found her like this eating the rest of the cream cheese... oh well, I guess it could be worse. 

Back at the ER, Elliott got all checked out and had several sets of x-rays





After the second set of x-rays, he was diagnosed with a dislocation at the elbow and his arm miraculously reset itself before the doctor came into reset it.  He was back to normal, 100% pain free in seconds.  It was amazing! 

Later that Sunday night, my computer froze in the middle of an update, making work that night challenging.  Everything was recovered the following day thanks to a friend's tech-help, but it added to the stress of life.

Monday, the 23rd everyone was back to their normal things... Eric went to work though still feeling sick, the older kids went to school on a 2-hour delay, and I watched Adeline's buddy Micah for our kid swap.


Tuesday, Eric came home from work with a high fever and stayed home the rest of the week on antibiotics.


Friday, he was bad enough to go into the ER.

My "no good very bad day" starts off with an oil dispenser breaking ALL over me (and my favorite jeans and sweatshirt) and over my attempt to make breakfast.   

After some blood tests and an ultrasound Eric learns that he has an abscess (probably MRSA) that was the size of a golf ball in his scrotum (though not the side that was so swollen).  He had an unexpected surgery that evening to remove the abscess. It took over an hour, but went well.  I arranged people to watch the kids so that I could be there with him when he got out of surgery.   



After recovery on Friday night, he was admitted for several days of IV antibiotics.

Nice view Saturday morning on February 28th

He slept most of the day Saturday and I binge watched Walking Dead.  I was supposed to host a bridal shower for my friend Ruth, but had to relocate it.

Later that night, he had a CT scan to look for other areas of infection since he was still having consistent fevers which is not expected a day post-op with two different IV antibiotics.  He also had a very painful procedure at the bedside in search for other abscesses.  Though I am fairly tough and a nurse, I almost passed out during the procedure.  I don't know if it was because I was seeing how much pain Eric was in, the blood, or that it was 10:30pm and I was hungry.  Either way, it was a horrible procedure and I am still traumatized.  I was sad to miss the bridal shower (as I had hoped to still attend), but was really glad I was there to hold Eric's hand through the pain.

Sunday, March 1st we had an ice storm.  Audrey was feeling very emotional about being bounced around from house to house of friends willing to watch her.  Elliott and Adeline were at my mother-in-law's house, but since Luis traveled to Peru because his mom had passed away, Cedulie could only accommodate having two kids.  Audrey is usually a strong girl, but I think the stress had become too much for her.  Since Eric was stable, the roads were icy, and Audrey needed some one on one time, I decided it would be best to stay home with her that day.















Monday March 2nd, Audrey didn't have school due to the weather.  Eric was discharged so Audrey came along with me to get him.  


No comments: