Saturday, January 2, 2016

Mary Lee O'Neil




Mary Lee O'Neil lived an amazing life for 86 years.  She was abandoned as an infant, grew up in an orphanage (with her brother) until she was seven where she learned to sew.  She was adopted into an abusive family, her brother died at 18 in WWII, she was married in her early 20's, had a daughter, then six sons.  She was married for 29 years when her husband passed away.  She lived another 30+ years without him.  She never complained about her life, but always looked through rose-colored glasses.  She was an amazing seamstress, even had some of her work (Colonial soliders' uniforms replicates) displayed in the Smithsonian.  I knew her for over 10 years, even met her before I moved to Baltimore since she altered Stefanie's wedding dress.  She became a dear friend.  I looked for excuses to visit her and found things for her to alter or repair.  I heard about her life during each visit.  She was not only very talented with transforming fabric, she also could bake.  She would receive orders for Christmas baking in October.  She loved when I brought my kids to visit, always found a ribbon for each of them.  Gave me a quilt with hand embroider squares for each child when they were born.



She died quickly and somewhat unexpectedly shortly after her 86th birthday.  
Her son called me to let me know of her death, we cried together.  I later learned that her "clients" had dwindled since she wouldn't take work, but would still accepted whatever Stefanie and I brought her.  I have already found myself missing her gazing at a pair of hemmed pants and got teary when I realized that I don't have her to run to when I need something mended.  I won't hear her life story again, but hope to remember it forever.  Through, she wasn't my grandmother, I loved her like my own.  She used her gifts to love and bless others. She was humble and generous.  I hope to be like her all the days of my life.  Through, you never met her, I hope you are blessed by her life story and the letter she left behind.


Dear Children, family, and friends,

Do not grieve for me, my life has been full of joy, love, and friendship, and some sorrow.

Take time for your busy lives to watch for spring's first robin, and for rainbows after it rains.

Stop and look at the glorious sun sets, and rejoice in its' rising.

Listen for the sound of geese in the autumn sky.

Watch for that red cardinal in the snow-covered evergreen trees.

Go out on a summer night and look al the stars; they've been there for thousands of years and they are God's creation.

Look at your children and grandchildren's faces and smile- I'll be there with you during all these times.

Smile, laugh, love your life- pray and shed a few tears, and I'll join in.

God loves you for all the rest of your lives- I've loved you all throughout mine.

No comments: