Saturday, May 8, 2010

Labor Story

I wanted to write out my labor story (mostly for me to remember it), but I thought I would share it with you for those interested (ladies). My disclaimer: I am a nurse and used some technical language and maybe graphic details, so read on at your own discretion.




I had been having contractions on and off for a week and a half. Some nights, I had contractions consistently 10 minutes apart for three hours. I would finally get tired and just go to bed. The contractions would settle down and I would still be pregnant in the morning. I did lots of walking over the last several weeks to encourage our little boy's arrival. I had lots of contractions, but nothing consistent enough or strong enough to be considered active labor. I was getting discouraged and felt the pressures of an eminent repeat C-section for my 40 week as the doctor's did not want to induce me and did not want me to go past my due date.

That evening and night, I only had a few fairly strong contractions, but once again nothing to get excited about. I went to bed at 11 pm, and woke up at 1 am with strong contractions 10 minutes apart. I rested in bed for an hour until they got stronger. The contractions were 4-5 minutes apart for the next 2 ½ hours. I got up, tried to stay busy in between contractions. Eric woke up to me moaning over the bathtub at 3am. I told him, “I think it’s time.” He said, “You think?” We called the hospital. I couldn’t even finish talking to the doctor due to a strong contraction. Everyone agreed that we should head to the hospital. We called George (Eric’s brother-in-law) who lives right down the street to come sleep at the house until Cedulie (Eric’s mom) could get there in the morning. I took a quick bath since I was hot and sweaty from laboring. (I lost my mucus plug in the bath).



That evening and night, I only had a few fairly strong contractions, but once again nothing to get excited about. I went to bed at 11 pm, and woke up at 1 am with strong contractions 10 minutes apart. I rested in bed for an hour until they got stronger. The contractions were 4-5 minutes apart for the next 2 ½ hours. I got up, tried to stay busy in between contractions. Eric woke up to me moaning over the bathtub at 3am. I told him, “I think it’s time.” He said, “You think?” We called the hospital. I couldn’t even finish talking to the doctor due to a strong contraction. Everyone agreed that we should head to the hospital. We called George (Eric’s brother-in-law) who lives right down the street to come sleep at the house until Cedulie (Eric’s mom) could get there in the morning. I took a quick bath since I was hot and sweaty from laboring. (I lost my mucus plug in the bath).


By 3:45 am we were on our way to Johns Hopkins. Eric was proud to be delivering at the #1 hospital in the nation. I was just glad it was close, 7 minutes away, but it was a long 7 minutes between our crazy snow damaged bumpy Baltimore roads and tons of pressure from the baby’s head. When I got there, my contractions were 4-5 minutes apart. They checked me at around 5 am, I was 2-3 cm and 60% effaced. They were not sure they were going to admit me but since I was going for a v-bac they decided to. I was so thankful! After so many nights of having false labor, I feared being sent home. At 7 am, I was 6 cm and 90%.



I was starting to get really uncomfortable with the contractions and got the epidural at around 8 am. You can see the difference in my before epidural face and my post epidural face.



I was so thankful to get some relief, however, I still had a band of pain around my mid back and fundus, so they upped the epidural. It took away most of the pain, expect the back pain. My water broke on it’s own at 10:45 am.


The doctors (plural- because Hopkins is a teaching hospital) came in again to check me around 11:30 am and said they didn’t feeling cervix at all, but felt head. They said I was ready to push. I was so surprised how fast things were happening. Eric had left to get something to eat right after my water broke. Luckily, he walked in just as they were setting up and breaking the bed for delivery. I didn’t want to push without him there. I started pushing at 11:40 am and only pushed through 3 contractions. They had to use the vacuum on his head since his heart rate was decelerating. I heard his first crying, they put him on me and then he started turning blue. They think he aspirated some fluid. They rushed him to the warmer and called the NICU. They ambu-bagged him. It was the longest few seconds of my life. He started to cry again and regain some color.

I was so distracted by what was going on with Elliott that I didn’t realize the doctors were trying to figure out were I was bleeding from. I guess I had a second - degree tear, thank you epidural for not feeling that. They gave him back to me and we nursed at least 2 hours before his bath. It was really special because with the c-section with Audrey, I did not get that time to initially bond with her. Elliott Ryan was born at 11:48 am, 6 lbs, 14 oz and 20.5 inches long. We were so thankful for a healthy boy and quick and safe delivery.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Kevin enjoyed the part about the mucus plug! (He was obsessed with that part of our childbirth class). Thanks for sharing your birth story! I'm glad you got your v-bac and that Elliott is healthy.