Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saving the tree

In early August we had a descent storm (not Irene) that brought down a few trees in our neighborhood. It took out part of a huge tree that crushed three cars. On our way home from having lunch with Eric and his co-workers in the Inner Harbor the day after the storm, we saw it and had to turn around since it was blocking the road. Audrey was distraught and could not understand why that happened. She asked if we could take a walk and go visit it. I really just wanted to get them to rest and start working (working from home is so much fun with two kids) but I saw the importance to her, so I caved. I got the stroller out for Elliott and we started to walk up the street. Audrey said, "Wait! I need my doctor kit." It didn't make any sense to me but I didn't want to start a fight, so let her go back to the house to get her doctor kit. She wore the stethoscope around her neck and marched up the street to go save the tree.



She gave it a shot (pain killers I hope).
Took it's blood pressure
Throughly assessed it
And gave it some hugs and kisses
I also took a video of her lecturing God not to do that again.



She felt good about her work and we headed back home.
When we got back home, she paid her respects to the bird and bugs.
What a sad world we live in! What a great big heart she has!
Here are some pictures of one of the cars after the tree was cleared:
The next day, we drove to Target and saw about six trees down.. she wanted to stop to save all the trees... we just opted for praying for them instead.

A week later, we were on another walk and saw the tree cutters taking down what was left of the tree. Audrey was so sad! She even talked to them and asked them why they were cutting it down. I guess they didn't realize that she saved it already!


No comments: