Friday, March 21, 2014

Winter Catch Up- Part 1: Eric's 4 Week Absence

Happy Spring!  Since it is Spring (I cannot say "already"), I thought it would be appropriate to give you a run down of our winter.  

It was a long winter and this is long over due.  I guess it is a testimony of just how busy life is these days.

November 20th, we said goodbye to Eric for four weeks.  He went to Charlotte, NC to lead teams that process Shoeboxes for OCC.  It was a long four weeks- it made me appreciate how hard single parents work and also made me grateful to live in a great community with so much support. 

Here is Elliott and Eric praying over a few shoeboxes that Elliott packaged.
 

The day Eric left, we welcomed this guy into our home.  He showed up on our door step and charmed his way in.  Eric felt that it was God's way of blessing us with a distraction for the kids.  It worked, the kids hardly realized Eric was gone for the first few days.  He was named Max and quickly found a place in our bed and in our hearts.  He is so good with the kids despite enduring some tortuous love that he receives from all three kids.




The day after Eric left, my mom and Larry arrived for a visit.  They also provide much distraction and entertainment, making Eric's trip more manageable.  

They were on the east coast for two weeks and had planned to spend Thanksgiving with my Uncle Jon Deans and family in Georgia.  The morning they left, I got sick with a high fever, but still sent them on their way thinking it would resolve quickly.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  I was sick for four days with fevers above 102.  It was all I could do to care of the kids.  Thanksgiving Eve it got as high as 104 and was still 102 the next morning.  


I finally called my dear neighbor Edda (a honorary grandmother for my kids) to help me get them breakfast.  She spent the morning with me, allowed me to shower, did laundry, and hung out with the kids who were enjoying the Thanksgiving parade.  Edda took me to Urgent Care, while other dear friends, the Posts, cared for my three kids along with their three kids and still put on an amazing Thanksgiving dinner!  My labs looked good, which meant it was just a virus.  I was grateful for my mom who flew back from Atlanta forsaking her Thanksgiving plans to help me out.  Edda, my mom, and I managed to make it home, I later broke out in a full body rash and self-diagnosed that it was probably 5th Disease.  


It was a long first week of Eric's trip and somehow we managed sickness and Thanksgiving without him.  The Posts even delivered a Christmas tree to our house on Black Friday.  I slowly decorated the house for Christmas, which took about a week instead of a day.


Larry joined us again a few days later after driving back from Georgia and visiting his family in Virginia.  Elliott enjoyed their time together.



 Max seemed right at home in his new residence.


 About a week after Thanksgiving, my mom and Larry left and Audrey got 5th disease.
She had its trademark "Slapped Cheek" rash. 

I had a week without company.  We had a little snow to entertain us as we got to do some shoveling, snow biking and snowman building/nibbling.   



One of my dearest friends Kate, came to visit (and help) me.
She loves my kids like her own which is invaluable.  

Many amazing pictures were taken, we took many walks, read many books.

















Face Timing Daddy

Kate blessed Audrey with impeccable hair-dos that her mother could never attain.


Before welcoming Eric home, we had to first say goodbye to some wonderful friends (that felt like family) as they made their move out West.  It reminded us of our great move back East five years ago.  Goodbyes are hard, but the knowledge of the adventure and possibilities ahead softens the pain. 




Somehow, the four weeks (that I dreaded all year) without Eric passed and a happy reunion at BWI arrived on December 19th.  Audrey and Elliott ran to welcome him.  Adeline was unsure and a little upset at first, maybe mad at him and making the connection that he had left.   She eventually went to him.  We were all happy to be reunited again and ready to celebrate Christmas only a few days away.

No comments: