Sunday, October 7, 2007

Interesting Cat...










I met the most interesting cat this weekend. Alice is super skinny (the pictures do not do justice to her gaunt appearance.) At first I thought she wasn't being fed, then I looked at her food bowl and realized she is certainly not under fed. Evidently she has hyperthryriodism, a condition which increases the metabolism. Common treatments include surgical removal of a portion of the thyroid gland and radioactive iodine therapy, which is excessive for a cat. Maybe, it's the nurse in me, but I was fascinated by her.

2 comments:

doro said...

she was a pretty interesting cat :-)! it was great to see you three this weekend.

Rahime said...

Ash, one of my clients also has a cat with hyperthyroidism. She suddenly went from being normal healthy plump to skeletal skinny. They have her on thyroid meds now which are expensive, but seem to be working.

:)